Sheet Wood Carrier

When starting a wood-working project, I’ve often struggled to move 8’x4′ (2440mm x 1220mm) sheets of wood from the front garden into the garage. Over the years, I’ve tried various things with mixed success.

So I re-purposed some wheels from a dead compost shredder:

They’re bolted onto a steel frame along with an aluminium carrier for the wood. This fits under one end of the sheet, allowing me to move the sheet from the other end without lifting it:

Shoreham Woods

A lovely morning walking around Shoreham Woods – particularly helped by all the bluebells and dry paths:

Often there are horses (or are they ponies?) in a field we have to cross. They always seem to congregate by the exit stile. Still, they seemed totally unfussed as we squeezed through:

Another field we have to cross often has cows in it. They’re rarely a problem, but Rocco decided to have a roll in a cow pat:

He didn’t appreciate an extensive hose down once we got back. Let’s hope he’s learnt his lesson, but I doubt it…

New porch mat

I recently changed the light in the porch (a long story with many failures of various sorts), but whilst doing so, noticed that the old mat in the porch was quite worn.

So time for a new one. Luckily the porch is just under a standard size of coir mat so there wasn’t much wastage, but it was still a challenge to cut it to fit the porch floor.

But it was eventually done and looks a lot better:

Gloucester (Again)

We decided to visit Gloucester again, but took a different bus that departed from a side road just around the corner (but only ran every two hours):

Apart from one other passenger (“Who goes into Gloucester every day to keep the bus running”), we were the only people on the bus! No wonder it’s subsidised…

We walked around Alney Island, a nature reserve just on the edge of the city:

Rocco of course enjoyed chasing a stick and getting muddy. This is the old bridge over the Severn, that has now been replaced by a modern, wider, bridge:

The path wiggles around various elevated sections of railway and road:

and goes through ancient woodland:

One final bridge over the Severn, and we were back in the city:

Just in time for a few beers and lunch in the Fountain pub, which looks like it belongs in a small village rather that the centre of town:

The dogs got a lot of attention (and treats) from both staff and customers:

Then a short walk past the cathedral to an open space where the dogs could let off steam:

Then onto another pub for some more interesting beers and ciders, and a (crowded) bus back home:

4 miles today!

Cleve Hill

As it was a nice morning, we drove through Cheltenham to Cleeve Hill – a good choice as the car does most of the work going up the hill, not us.

We followed the Cotswold Way for the first part, along the edge of the golf course. Both dogs seem to relish running around in the open space:

Further on, we partially descended into a valley to grab a geocache (hanging in a tree)::

Then back up the hill to a small reservoir – a popular spot for dogs!

Then up the hill to a nice seat for elevenses:

We then set off round the hill, a mixture of almost lunar landscapes and lush grassed paths:

Further on around the hill, we had our first view of Cheltenham and the racecourse:

Then even further round, lunch break on a nice bench overlooking Cheltenham. Toby and Rocco are being very attentive as they’ve had a few crusts from my sandwiches:

Finally, back to the car, again following the Cotswold Way along the tops:

5 miles in total, though I suspect Rocco did more like 15-20 miles!

Coaley Peak Walk

We went somewhere new for the morning dog walk. Coaley Peak is a car park high on the ridge south of Stroud, with good views over the Severn valley:

We followed the Cotswold Way long distance path north through the woods:

Rocco of course enjoyed his stick:

The path followed past some quarries and headed downhill:

Eventually, the path followed along some fields lower down the hill:

and then back into the woods:

Eventually, we left the Cotswold Way and had a steep climb back up the hill. The path back to the car followed the ridge line:

and we stopped for a Geocache:

A lovely walk, 5 miles in total.


An interesting day in Gloucester; we started the day walking the dogs to a spot on the River Severn where the Severn Bore was due. It wasn’t a “big” one, and was 20 minutes late, but sure enough, there were a few waves splashing on the banks and the water level went up by a foot or two. You can just see a splash in the distance in this photo:

Later on, I used my new Freedom Pass to get the bus into Gloucester. The bus was a bit busy, but most passengers didn’t seem to mind a couple of Labradors getting in the way!

First stop was Gloucester Docks, surprisingly quiet although I’m sure the cold wind kept people away.

And a quick pint of Gloucester Brewery Cascade in “The Tank”:

Suitably fortified, we headed through the main shopping streets to a micro-pub – excellent beer but no photos, then on through the cathedral gardens to The Pelican, which also has a good range of excellent beer, including two good stouts; one from Brew York!

Then back home on the bus (a bit quieter this time). A good day out despite the wind.