As usual, I don’t wait to finish one project before starting another; I was inspired by Pastime Historical Dance activities to make a 15th Century kirtle. Having got Phil to help with the measurements – it’s hard to measure your own back, I first drew the pattern shapes on to the last remaining length of some old cotton sheeting.
This was quite a challenge, as I am not exactly the shape anticipated by the sketch (ahem), but eventually I got the pieces cut out. The bust looked a bit odd, though.
Having done a rough fitting, and adjusted said bust, I cut out the pieces from the main fabric.
The next step will be to stitch the pieces together!
That undergarment is a (fairly) modern nightie – my Tudor chemise is too bulky to fit under. That’s a problem for another day.
Phil has been using a wicker tray to contain bits and pieces on the front seat of the car. Unfortunately, the tray has holes in the side, so the smaller items had a tendency to fall out. So I made a liner for the tray. It didn’t take long, and I am quite pleased with how it turned out.
The white space on this tablecloth had two issues: It was unbalanced with regard to the border, and it showed every mark!
So I decided to have a play and add some additional colour. I’m quite pleased with the result.
… I’ve been playing around with screening off the chaos which is our loft space, for when I need to do more formal video calls – the bench meeting this evening, for example.
If I’m to use this idea for real, I’ll have to iron the scarves!!
It was a particularly stunning evening at Poverest Rec on Saturday – the moon was large, orange and low, and the mist covering the area was only about six feet deep, giving a weird effect which this photo doesn’t really capture.
The air was very still and it was not at all cold. Altogether quite a lovely walk!
The top of my sewing drawers was getting cluttered, so I decided to tidy it up. Which, of course, led to sorting out one of the drawers.
As is the way with things, this led to sorting out my eaves cupboard…
A real sense of achievement! And so to actually doing something now that my sewing space is ready for action:
Well, I haven’t made wine, but… I picked most of the grapes I could reach from the kitchen step stool. Loads still left on the vine.
So, after about an hour taking the grapes off the stalks (you can’t just squash them if you plan to make jelly), I had to go and do some other stuff, so the grapes took over the fridge.
A couple of days later, I continued… The bowl on the left is the one that started out full of grapes. And, may I say, spiders and earwigs!
So there was lots of rubbish, but a big pot of grapes, to which I added apple and lemon for a better set. Well, any set, to be honest.
That evening, the cooked mixture was left to drip.
My jelly bag was too small, so that’s part of Phil’s old brewing kit.
After cooking again with an equivalent amount of sugar: many pots of grape jelly. That should last until the next harvest!
Oh, and there are still a few in the fridge for me to eat.
After deliberating for a long time about opening the church sanctuary for private prayer, once we had agreed, we wanted to go ahead quickly and didn’t have time to get a poster printed. I agreed to make one; I am pleased with how it turned out, and there is something very satisfying about doing something you enjoy, but for someone else!
Then again, sometimes it’s good to create things only for your own amusement. Here’s a sketch of the windmill we saw on holiday. Usually I end up sketching boring landscapes…
We had a prebooked visit to Waddesdon Manor today. The car park is a long way from the house, and they don’t allow dogs on the shuttle bus, so it was a long trek to get there in the wind:
Eventually, the house came into view through the trees:
Most of the house surroundings are more “park like” than formal gardens, but there was a pretty aviary:
This is the front of the house (closed, of course!):
The formal gardens in front of the house were not dog friendly:
But Rocco was very patient (particularly as he’d been on the lead since we arrived):
We then explored a path in the woods, where he did get a chance to let off steam. Not sure of the sculpture though!
Down the hill was The Stables, a pretty building converted to a cafe:
We then followed another “Woodland Walk”, with odd sculptures on the way:
Neither of us was convinced that this was a reindeer…
Following a spot of lunch, it was the long trek back to the car and home. An interesting day, and we must return when everything is open.
Bernwood Forest used to be a royal hunting forest that covered a lot of the local area. All that is left now is a section managed by Forestry England.
There are lots of dog friendly paths and geocaches there, so we joined Gemma and Paddy for a walk there:
Rocco was in heaven with an infinite supply of sticks, mud and water.
Gemma and Paddy did really well at spotting the geocaches:
There were a wide variety of different paths and habitats:
All too soon, it was time for lunch:
We explored a different part of the forest in the afternoon; this had many large anthills:
And more lovely paths:
Rocco really did enjoy himself:
A lovely day, helped by really nice weather!