Having finished the construction of the kirtle itself, I then had to deal with the lacing; making the holes down the front was easy enough…
… but then the eyelets had to be hand stitched. This was extremely fiddly!
They weren’t too bad when I had finished, but they were rather too small, so I had to lace them with embroidery thread rather than cord. However, once it was waxed, as per instructions from Gemma, it was more or less acceptable.
Meanwhile, I began making a coif. This was made out of unbleached calico, which was what I had, and entirely hand stitched, which I was rather proud of!
And so the medieval peasant costume is finished!
I will need to make a more appropriate undergarment at some point, rather than a 20th century thermal vest!!
As usual, I don’t wait to finish one project before starting another; I was inspired by Pastime Historical Dance activities to make a 15th Century kirtle. Having got Phil to help with the measurements – it’s hard to measure your own back, I first drew the pattern shapes on to the last remaining length of some old cotton sheeting.
This was quite a challenge, as I am not exactly the shape anticipated by the sketch (ahem), but eventually I got the pieces cut out. The bust looked a bit odd, though.
Having done a rough fitting, and adjusted said bust, I cut out the pieces from the main fabric.
The next step will be to stitch the pieces together!
That undergarment is a (fairly) modern nightie – my Tudor chemise is too bulky to fit under. That’s a problem for another day.
The last phase of making the stays was the eyelets for the lacing, for the shoulder straps and back fastening. I was pleased to find that my small hole punch went through the layers of fabric and interfacing. Stitching them was strangely therapeutic!
So, they are now done. I will have to make another chemise to go under them. Black t-shirt definitely not authentic! Although they look baggy on the dummy, they are fine on me since I am rather fuller of figure…